Collective memory

Included in the features on the DVD of "Cabaret" are snippets of comments from key players in the 1972 film. The interviews were done 25 years later and both Joel Grey and Liza Minnelli looked fabulous. Joel Grey, who was born in 1932 and would have been 65 then, is particularly fascinating to watch. A magnetic personality, I guess.

He talked briefly about his dread of being on location for the movie. "As a Jew I was very fearful of going to Germany. I never wanted to go there."

The first time he stood on German ground, he was overcome and began to sob. "All that loss came up welling inside of me." He is certain "it's that collective memory of my people."

I don't recall if it was in "The World at War" or the BBC "History of World War II." On one of the documentaries a Holocaust survivor talked about the mental state he eventually arrived at during transportation to the gas chambers. "There was no strength left for suffering," he said.