Capitol offense

Eventually it sank in that the extremely loud voices in the Capitol at about 1 p.m. today came from some extremely angry fellow. Since I was going out for my lunchtime walk, I stopped at the information desk and asked what had happened. One of the tour guides said some man stood out in the rotunda and started yelling. And then he left.

At 1:45 or so the yelling started again. It was quite a fracas. A man darted into view, with a Capitol police officer hot on his heels. The police officer tackled the man and a tour guide helped hold him down. Another tour guide came to the officer's aid, as well. The officer was able to handcuff the fellow, who then calmed right down. "Too much weight on me," we could hear him yelling. "Too much weight on me." Another police officer arrived on the scene at that point.

I could see David Lieb of the AP talking with onlookers on the first floor. Here's a newspaper account of the incident. I did not have my camera with me today of all days. Drat! I did find somebody's photo of the state seal on flickr. No, it is not solid gold.