Alternative history

I am listening to James Madison and the Struggle for the Bill of Rights by Richard E. Labunski. So far "struggle" is an appropriate word. I'm in Chapter 5 and the allusions to a bill of rights are all complaints from people who are mad there wasn't one included in the Constitution presented for ratification. I guess I was expecting something else from a book with this title.

More than four hours into an 11-hour book and I'm stuck at the Virginia ratifying convention, getting a blow-by-blow account of who said what. The most ridiculous bit yet was the inclusion of the fact that Patrick Henry left the convention for a few minutes when his son showed up in the auditorium. The son had come to tell Patrick that he was a New Papa (Alexander Spotswood, born June 2, 1788). Labunski then says it's unfortunate that history doesn't record whether Alexander's birth was announced to the convention as a whole. That is quite the travesty. We are left to speculate. I vote "yes" because Patrick has to be talking about something during his three-hour-long delaying arguments.

I would probably enjoy James Madison's (et al.) blog more except that it isn't available in MP3 format.

Interesting that this blogger commenting on the Labunski book is taking the same path I plan to -- reading a book about each president. Why not know what made Millard Fillmore tick? Depending on what's available, I can make Assassination Vacation count for several presidents.