Ole buttermilk pie

My mother-in-law was an excellent cook. I remember her telling me once that she'd never been able to make a buttermilk pie that her husband felt was as good as his mother used to make. I happened to see a recipe for buttermilk pie in a newspaper supplement so I tried it. I suppose my father-in-law's mother had her own buttermilk. I used powdered buttermilk, which I always have on hand.

Never having eaten buttermilk pie before, I will say that this version is not that bad! But probably not quite as good as Ida's.

½ cup butter, melted
1¾ cups sugar
3 T. flour
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
¼ tsp. nutmeg
¼ tsp salt
1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust

I. Preheat oven to 350°.
II. Combine all ingredients (except pie crust, of course) in a large bowl; whisk until smooth.
III. Pour mixture into pie crust. Bake 45-50 minutes, until golden and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
IV. Cool completely. When cool, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.

Source: American Profile, March 29-April 4, 2009.