Name five

For a long time, that used to be my challenge when somebody made a generalized statement. "There are lots of things to like about" or "to do" or whatever. "Name five," was my skeptical response. Now it's an application on Facebook. My five favorite books or movies. The first five cars I've owned or places I've lived. Since I've played the game a few times, I get a message every day asking me to Pick My Five.

I assume there is some hidden value in gathering this information. Sure, it's fun to read these bits of trivia from people I know. And it's fun to see if that 1967 LeMans I owned is in the database and if the picture choices are close to my old car. But why would a Facebook application solicit people to submit this random stuff? Advertising, I presume. Since it's out there that I consider The Secret of the Old Clock a milestone book in my life, will I be asked to take online courses in order to get my P.I. license?

I read a piece yesterday, "Do you think bandwidth grows on trees?" No, I don't think that. I am willing to pay for useful services. I certainly appreciate the personal freedom the Internet gives me. But I hold no illusions that there is any corresponding privacy when I am not paying to subscribe. I remember that old TV ad: You can pay me now ... or you can pay me later.

And, thanks, youtube, for supplying the bandwidth so somebody would go to the trouble to upload a 30-year-old commercial! Can you still buy Fram oil filters?