Run it up the flagpole ... and see if anyone notices

Steve Chapman, writing in Reason, says state flags need a makeover. A state representative from Oklahoma would like to see his state's flag with a new slant (italics and an exclamation point) but I don't think typography is what's holding most state flags back from being symbolic of something or even anything.

In 2001, the North American Vexillogical Association* conducted an online survey and people expressed their opinions of state and provincial flags. New Mexico was credited with the "best flag" and it's hard to argue with that. That Marshall Islands flag is really wonderful, too. I think at the time I put Arizona as my No. 1.

NAVA heaps scorn on states for using the "seal on a bedsheet" design. Missouri and Iowa, the states I've called home since I left the Lone Star State nearly 50 years ago, have similar flags. One state uses vertical pillowcases and the other horizontal. That Wisconsin flag is a doozy. If they redo it, they could substitute their State Quarter for the seal and still keep the same tone.

Kansas has an official state banner. It's attractive, symbolic and not a bit dated.

NAVA also polled people about their favorite city flags. There is a lot more energy in these designs, isn't there? I see the town where I work (Jefferson City, Mo.) placed in the middle of the pack. Hmm, I wasn't aware Jeff City even had a flag.

In my unflagging efforts to alert you to locator-type websites, I point you to a flag finder.

*As far as typography goes, I would suggest that NAVA ease up on its use of the centered justification. It ain't for paragraphing!