College ... what is it good for? Absolutely nuthin.

If you buy stuff from amazon.com, you get email suggestions on occasion. "As someone who purchased (that) , we thought you might be interested in (this)." This, this time, was this. No, I am not interested in Frankie and Annette now and I never was then. Instead, I tracked down that Fabian movie about surfing. It had a few lines of dialogue about quitters that LohMan and I got a big kick out of when we saw the movie on TV 25 or 30 years ago and I wanted to hear them again.

Amazon.com made a sale. I ordered "Ride the Wild Surf." It is entertaining and blessedly free of musical breaks every six minutes. It does have some major distractions, however. The hair color of the stars. The people you associate with blond hair don't have it, but some well-known brunettes do. Shelley Fabares and Peter Brown are blonds. Barbara Eden is a redhead and Tab Hunter is a brunette. Fabian is himself, but he doesn't sing.

Fabian is a young man from a dysfunctional family who finds himself with no life goals other than to surf when the big ones come in at Waimea. Shelley Fabares challenges him to make something of his life. Tab and Peter meet young women who challenge them, as well.

Everybody is fit and looks swell. The girls sit on the beach in cute two-piece swimsuits. The guys surf. They instantly attract girls and enemies. I read somewhere that Peter and Tab had their hair dyed so they'd look more like their stunt doubles. You wonder why the stunt doubles didn't have their hair dyed, instead.

The movie ends with the big showdown, the last two surfers still standing. Even on a TV screen it is obvious that surfing is a very dangerous sport, all those bodies and surfboards crashing around in the ocean. I have never been to Hawaii but experiencing that surf must be amazing. I felt like telling Fabian not to go out that last time, that he was exhausted and he might drown.

But Fabian has been growing since he met Shelley. He bares his soul to her about two-thirds of the way into the movie:
Fabian: I was going to be an oceanographer. Couldn’t wait to go to school. ... After a week or so I realized the whole thing was just hopeless. I just couldn’t cut it.
Shelley: Why?
Fabian: Didn't know enough.
The movie ends with Fabian having a new lease on life. And Shelley having a new leash on Fabian.