The road less traveled


I took a different route on my commute this morning because, at the exact moment that I stepped out of the house, a fire truck drove past on its way to an accident just around the bend from where we live. So I drove through town and then used a two-lane county highway to head east. I had the road practically to myself, which is different from the weaving traffic on the divided U.S. highway I always take. It occurred to me that the chief benefit of living west of the workplace is that I get to drive into sunrises in the morning and into sunsets in the evening. They serve as tonics for my days. Frequently the sunsets are beautiful enough to make me want to pull over and take a picture but I refrain. If I see a beautiful sunset and don't take a photograph, does it really happen? Sunsets are fleeting, especially in a hilly area.

I snapped the sunrise when I got to work. It didn't look the same as the one I enjoyed on my commute but it was fine nonetheless. The clouds look like a divided highway. You take the high road and I'll take the low road.