Know your enemies

I've been reading a novel about the German occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II. I asked LohMan if there was anything on Netflix about the subject and during our research, I came upon "Enemy at the Door," a 30-year-old ITV (not BBC, as I thought) series. I bought both seasons of it from amazon.com for next to nothing. I guess there is a reason I wasn't watching "Masterpiece Theater" when our kids were little. I can watch the stuff now and it's all new!

We're one-quarter of the way through Season One and my feeling is this: Try not to be occupied. It's a very messy business, with all sorts of opportunities for things to go wrong. One really shattering episode featured a German soldier and a British young woman flirting. Another was about the town librarian standing up to an SS officer about the library collection. War is hell.

The brother and son of three of the main characters appears in two episodes. He reminded me of a young JFK, so I looked up his name. "Enemy at the Door" was Anthony Head's debut.