LED there be light


Incandescent bulbs have to shape up or ship out. Within its 310 pages, the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 sets standards for bulb efficiency, among other things. The major provisions are summarized in this Congressional Research Service report to Congress.

I tried those screw-in fluorescent fixtures for lamps about 20 years ago. I'm remembering them -- dimly -- as expensive, unsatisfactory halo bulbs about four inches in diameter. And I've tried the current compact fluorescent lamps. I can only hope that by 2012 the CFLs for sale will be dependable. The current ones seem to work best in hallways and other places where we leave the light on for extended periods of time. On-and-off for in-and-out rooms have meant quick death for the CFLs I've bought. I've gone back to incandescents in the kitchen, bath and bedrooms. I usually pick up a pack or two of lightbulbs whenever I go to the store. In anticipation of the 2012-2014 phaseout, I've got quite a little stockpile. The first thing I've ever hoarded!

The CFL in the photo was recently installed in an elegant floor fixture. I noticed it immediately from a great distance. Anyone would.

When we bought our acreage, there was a dusk-to-dawn light out by the garage. It was something we couldn't control and it was pretty annoying. So we had the power company take it out a few years ago. We use solar LED lamps to make the walk up to the front door reasonably safe. They work well -- still glimmering at dawn.

This past weekend we picked up an LED floodlamp to use in our motion-sensor porch light. The package said it would cost 55 cents a year to operate it. The light it gives is an eerie green but it is bright. Perhaps it would get whiter if it were on longer but, as I said, it's in a motion-sensor fixture. A nervous one at that.

Are CFLs to LEDs as VHS was to DVD?

And could you save just as much energy by turning off lights that you don't need?