Coconut Joys


This is a candy I only make at Christmastime, although I used to take it to bake sales if I was expected to help supply the merchandise. As I told LohMan® a few weeks ago after I bit into a Coconut Joy, "Now I remember why I make these."

Coconut Joys

1 stick of butter
2 cups powdered sugar
3 cups coconut
12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 T. shortening

I. Cover a large cookie sheet with wax paper. Set aside.

I. Melt the butter in a 2-qt. saucepan over low heat. Stir in the powdered sugar and coconut. Mix completely.

II. Shape a walnut-sized piece of the coconut mixture in your hand and flatten it to a patty about 1/4 of an inch in thickness. Place on wax paper-covered cookie sheet. Put the cookie sheet in the refrigerator or freezer for 15 minutes or so, in order to firm up the patties so you can dip them in the chocolate.

III. Melt the chocolate chips and Crisco in a 1-qt. saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat as soon as the mixture is smooth.

IV. Dip a patty in the chocolate, covering it completely, and set it back on the wax paper to harden. You might need to reheat the chocolate if it sets up before you're done.

V. Once the chocolate coating is not sticky to the touch, store the candies in the refrigerator.

VI. Makes about 5 dozen candies, about one inch in diameter.

Voice of Experience:

I have not had good luck with Hershey's semisweet chocolate chips for use as a candy coating. They are good in cookies, etc., but somehow they don't melt quite right to use for dipping. As far as dipping goes, the technique that works for me is:
a. Plop the candy in the chocolate-shortening mixture.
b. Use a dinner fork to flip it over.
c. Fish it out and draw the bottom of the tines of the fork across the pan to remove excess chocolate.
I have a Wilton's dipping spoon but I tried it once and went back to a dinner fork.

Recipe source: Fort Dodge (Iowa) Messenger cookbook from 1980 or so. There is a distinct difference in my version. The original recipe said to make a dent in the top of the coconut patty and put a little melted chocolate in the depression. I chose immersion over sprinkling and, in this instance, it is The Way to go.