Brand loyalty

Brand loyalty develops for a myriad of reasons. Gramps worked at Buick. Mother knew best. Mikey was cute in that Life cereal commercial. I become loyal to a brand the same way I become loyal to a recipe. I try it and if I like it, I keep using it.

My total abandonment of bar soap took years but it is now complete and there's no going back. I tried a liquid body wash (not to be confused with liquid hand soap) on a whim and, noticing an immediate difference on the skin, became a convert. I sampled different varieties. Softsoap for Men Active Moisturizing Body Wash was popular with the entire household. So why wasn't it at the store any more?

Wal-Mart apparently dropped it and Target didn't have it, either. Finding it became a mission, something to do even on vacation. I checked out-of-town grocery stores that I happened to be in. I looked at amazon.com, where it says it is unavailable and may never be available. This weekend I visited the Colgate website. I went through all the hoops and eventually came to a product locator (under the FAQs). According to the locator, Softsoap for Men was at Kmart. I hardly ever go to Kmart but this weekend we actually made a special trip into town (12 miles) and there it was. Emphasis on "was."

Unless they have more in the back, this particular Kmart is out of Softsoap for Men Active Moisturizing Body Wash. I bought what was on the shelf (3 bottles). So now I am hoarding that, too.